Warner Bros. Entertainment and DC Entertainment are kicking off a yearlong celebration in honor of the 75th anniversary of Superman with a special logo and range of new brand extensions.
Since first appearing in the comic book Action Comics #1 in June 1938, Superman has became a cultural icon, entering every entertainment medium from feature films to radio to merchandise.
“Superman is undeniably the greatest superhero in the world and likely the most influential comic book character of all time,” says Diane Nelson, president, DC Entertainment. “In addition to being an enduring presence in pop culture for the last 75 years, he continues to be a commanding global icon. DC Entertainment and all of Warner Bros. look forward to celebrating this important, yearlong anniversary for Superman.”
DC Entertainment and the studio’s various divisions–including Warner Bros. Pictures, Warner Bros. Television, Warner Bros. Animation, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment and Warner Bros. Consumer Products–will mark the anniversary with a range of events and products that will kick off with the release of the feature film Man of Steel June 14.
The new commemorative logo takes its cue from the iconic Superman costume and will be rolled out by all the divisions on Superman-related promotions, products and initiatives. DC Entertainment will be the first to feature the new logo on the upcoming Superman Unchained comic book, on sale June 12.
“Warner Bros. is privileged to be home to the global Superman brand, which has had an unparalleled impact on popular culture for 75 years,” says Kevin Tsujihara, chief executive officer, Warner Bros. Entertainment. “We are proud to commemorate this milestone with exciting entertainment across the entire studio and across the globe, ensuring this enduring icon reaches new generations of audiences.”
Other plans for the anniversary include:
- A new animated short that pays homage to Superman and his many iterations throughout the last 75 years. A sneak peek of the short is planned for Comic-Con in July, with full distribution planned for later in the summer.
- “Superman: Unbound,” an all-new DC Universe animated original movie that pits Superman against Brainiac, was released on May 7 from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment.
- Man of Steel products for fans of all ages including toys, costumes, apparel, party goods and publishing from Warner Bros. Consumer Products.
- The new comic book series Superman Unchained, which will debut on June 12 from DC Entertainment.
- “Infinite Crisis,” an all-new, multi-player online battle arena game featuring DC Comics characters (including Superman), has been reimagined and will debut in fall of 2013 from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.
- A series of all-new Superman-themed animated shorts produced by Warner Bros. Animation, “DC Nation: Superman Shorts,” will air on Cartoon Network’s DC Nation block throughout the year.
- DC Entertainment’s “We Can Be Heroes’” second, crowd-funded giving campaign, which launched this month, is focused on Superman and featuring one-of-a-kind experiences and limited edition merchandise.