Universal Partnerships & Licensing is teaming up with a range of top companies in support of the July 3 release of Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment’s Despicable Me 2.
“Despicable Me’s Gru, his girls and the unpredictable Minions resonated with audiences everywhere, and helped us gain support from some of the world’s most popular brands heading into the sequel to Illumination’s blockbuster hit,” says Stephanie Sperber, president, UP&L. “Chris and his team created characters that people of all ages can be excited about, which is why this next installment in the franchise is one of the most anticipated of the summer and why Universal is back in the toy business for the first time since releasing King Kong.”
Highlights of the Despicable Me 2 program include:
- Thinkway Toys, global master toy licensee, is planning an extensive line that will include interactive figures, plush, vehicles, role play and novelty items.
- Hasbro, global master game licensee, is planning a full range that will include Despicable Me 2 versions of Monopoly and Operation, as well as two collectible Minion Pods games.
- Little, Brown Books for Young Readers has signed on as global publishing licensee.
- Hybrid Apparel will serve as the domestic apparel licensee for the brand.
- Gameloft is exclusively developing and publishing a franchise-themed game for iOS and Android, in partnership with Universal and Illumination.
UP&L has also secured more than $254 million in total global media value from key marketing partners including:
- A McDonald’s Happy Meal program in North America, Europe, Asia, Latin America, Middle East and Australia/New Zealand, marking the first time that McDonald’s has worked with Universal since 1993’s Jurassic Park;
- A co-branded collaboration with Progressive and its character Flo;
- A Minions takeover of many of General Mills’ top brands including Honey Nut Cheerios, Lucky Charms and Yoplait Go-Gurt;
- An integrated marketing effort with Frito-Lay’s Cheetos brand;
- Public service announcements featuring Gru with The Ad Council and Health and Human Services;
- Themed sticker designs on Chiquita bananas in the U.S. and 26 international territories, including Germany, Italy, Benelux, the U.K., Japan and Russia;
- Limited edition themed candy from Topps/Bazooka that will see the brand featured on Ring Pop, Jumbo Push Pop, Baby Bottle Pop and Juicy Drop Pops, as well as Mega Mouth Candy Spray across Europe; and
- Minion mayhem on five of Kellogg’s most popular cereal brands across 15 countries in Latin America including Mexico, Brazil, and Argentina.