The Toy Retailers Association has unveiled its annual list of the top 50 U.K. “Dream Toys” for the holiday season with licensed products from Disney, Hasbro, Saban Brands, Nickelodeon and Spin Master topping the list.
The toys were selected by a panel of independent buyers that represent 80 percent of toy retailers from stores including The Entertainer, Argos, Smyths Toys and Toys ‘R’ Us.
The top 10 Dream Toys (in alphabetical order) are:
- City Coast Guard from LEGO Company
- Doc McStuffins Doctor’s Bag playset from Flair Leisure Products
- Flying Fairy by Flutterbye from Spin Master Toys U.K.
- Furby Boom! from Hasbro
- InnoTab 3S from VTech Electronics Europe
- LeapPad Ultra from Leapfrog Toys
- Monopoly Empire from Hasbro
- Monster High 13 Wishes doll from Mattel
- Nerf N-Strike Elite RapidStrike CS-18 from Hasbro
- Robo Fishbowl from Zuru-Geemac
- Teksta Robotic Puppy from Character Options
“Christmas 2013 is set to be a strong year for toys, and this is a great Dream Toys list that reflects not only the need for toys to appeal to all budgets and tastes, but also how tech is continuing to increase its influence within toys, from pads and robotic dogs to flying fairies and fish,” says Gary Grant, shairman, Dream Toys committee. “The list perfectly illustrates the innovation, diversity and widespread appeal of toys, whilst acknowledging that parents and families need a variety of price options.”
The 50 toys are broken out into six categories with The Name’s the Game category highlighting licensed products.
“We have seen quite a few new licenses coming into the toy market this year,” says Frédérique Tutt, global toy industry analyst, The NPD Group. “NPD records growth in the action figures category and a resurgence of preschool licenses. Despite the lack of a strong movie blockbuster, film-related toy sales were nevertheless key to summer sales with almost £10 million worth of toy sales at retail since the beginning of the year for the three key kids’ movies: Iron Man, Monsters University and Planes.”
- The toys in the Name’s the Game category are (in alphabetical order):
- Angry Birds Go! Telepods Pig Rock Raceway from Hasbro
- Doc McStuffins Doctor’s Bag set from Flair Leisure Products
- Monsters University Sulley Monster Mask from Spin Master Toys U.K.
- One Direction dolls from Vivid
- Power Rangers Megaforce Deluxe Gosei Morpher from Bandai U.K.
- Star Wars Anakin Devient Vader Figure from Hasbro
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Pop-Up Pizza playset from Flair Leisure Products
- Transformers Beast Hunters Predaking from Hasbro
- Walking with Dinosaurs Gorgon Stomping Feet from Vivid
“This festive season, we expect to see a slight increase in toy spend compared to last year,” says Tutt. “Much of this growth is going to be driven by a combination of innovation and technology in the sector. This is good news for the toy industry as 2013 has seen a soft performance so far, due in large part to the combination of post-Olympics sales declines, poor outdoor toy sales following spring’s bad weather and the absence of a summer movie blockbuster. This is counterbalanced by the fact that sales for special occasions are on the rise (up 4 percent in last 12 months) and, as a result, we are confident Christmas 2013 should end the year on a positive note.”