The iconic video game “Tetris” celebrated its 30th anniversary Friday with plans for new products and experiences to kick off the next 30 years.
The brand already appears on hundreds of millions of products in more than 185 countries, from apparel to decor to video games.
To mark the 30th anniversary, fans across the globe celebrated with retro gameplay meetups, tournaments, bakeoffs and more.
“Our theme for the 30th anniversary of Tetris is ‘We All Fit Together.’ It speaks to how Tetris transcends cultures and language, and will continue to be fun for anyone, anywhere to play for generations to come,” says Maya Rogers, chief executive officer, Blue Planet Software, agent for the Tetris brand. “We all have an inherent desire to create order out of chaos–whether in playing a game or packing the trunk of your car. No matter where the game is played or brand is celebrated, there will always be Tetris.”
Among the partners planning new product for the brand are:
- Rasta Imposta is planning a line of Tetrimino-shaped Halloween costumes, interactive costumes and accessories.
- Robe Factory is extending the Tetris lifestyle with plush robes and slippers, as well as shower curtains, towels, rugs, leggings, socks, footwear and more.
- Ubisoft has developed the new console game “Tetris Ultimate,” which includes unique visuals and allows up to four players to face off in six different game modes. The game will be available for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One this summer.
- Electronic Arts introduced a new play mode to the “Tetris Blitz” iOS and Android app called Retro Blitz to mark the anniversary, with shapes, styles and colors that pay homage to the original Game Boy version from 1989.
- Tetris Online released updates to the “Tetris Battle” Facebook game and the all-new “Tetris Battle: Fusion” game, now available for download on Amazon Fire TV.
“I never imagined ‘Tetris’ was going to be this successful,” says Alexey Pajitnov, the creator of “Tetris.” “But the simple, yet addicting nature of ‘Tetris’ still has me playing it a few times every week. I meet fans from around the world who are also as passionate about ‘Tetris’ as me, and there is no doubt in my mind ‘Tetris’ will continue to expand and bring its classic appeal to new players in new ways and on new devices, whatever they may be.”