License! Global has announced the finalists of the inaugural One to Watch contest for new creative concepts, held in conjunction with Licensing Expo.
The contest is designed to recognize innovative new properties that are making their debut in the licensing marketplace at Licensing Expo 2014.
In order to be considered brands must be exhibiting at Licensing Expo for the first time this year and cannot have been licensed prior to January 1, 2013.
A License! Global judging panel selected the 10 finalists from among more than 30 entries based on each brand’s level of originality, licensing potential and alignment with today’s marketplace.
The winner and three runners-up will be announced at Licensing Expo, June 17-19 in Las Vegas, Nev. The winning brand will receive a media highlight in the Show Dailies, and the winner and runners-up will all receive promotional support from both Licensing Expo and License! Global throughout the show.
“I was thrilled to see the quality of the submissions in the first year of this contest,” says Steven Ekstract, group publisher, License! Global. “The entrants really highlighted the caliber of the new exhibitors at Licensing Expo this year, brands with truly innovative concepts and compelling brand propositions. It certainly made our job of selecting a winner very difficult.”
The finalists of the 2014 One to Watch competition are:
- Bean Sprouts Cafes and Cooking School (Booth G52): A cooking brand for kids aimed at sparking children’s appetites through cafes, cooking schools and veggie-themed characters and games.
- Running Dog Designs’ GirlNation (G32): A tween lifestyle brand designed to empower young girls with inspiring quotes that play on the doodle art trend.
- Art in the Baking’s Ice by Number (F42): The world’s first edible pattern for decorating baked goods.
- FremantleMedia Kids & Family Entertainment’s Kate & Mim-Mim (S181): A preschool brand that encourages children to be curious and fearless.
- Jupey Krusho’s Memo Me the Loving Lion (F14): A character-based brand celebrating the universal message of friendship.
- Miner Works of Art (D12): Fine art designs featuring bold, colorful, abstract pieces.
- Grimaldi Import’s Naja Extreme (E161): A sportswear brand out of Brazil created to serve the growing mixed martial arts fan base and athletes.
- Oju Africa (B44): African-inspired emoticons designed to celebrate the country and give Africans a voice in today’s modern digital world.
- Rinekwall (C31): An eclectic design brand that reproduces photographic designs to create eye-catching patterns and prints.
- Story Posters (D14): Pictorial narratives that tell complete stories in one poster using color, balance and shapes.