Macy’s has announced plans for an American Icons campaign, which will pay tribute to the American spirit this summer with a series of curated merchandise, special collections and themed events.
The department store plans to honor the brands, events and pastimes that have contributed to American culture beginning in mid-May and continuing through July.
The campaign will include a collaboration with top American brands to curate a range of American Icons merchandise that will also include special collections from Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, MICHAEL Michael Kors, Tommy Hilfiger, Levi’s and Nike.
“Macy’s is America’s department store, and through this campaign we’re celebrating the unique people, places and things that make our country great,” says Martine Reardon, chief marketing officer, Macy’s. “In addition to collections from incredible brands including Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein and Michael Kors, we’re embarking on a nationwide tribute that will feature some of America’s most beloved and nostalgic pastimes including the drive-in, baseball and grilling, along with a program to support and celebrate America’s veterans.”
Among the events and programs Macy’s has planned for this summer are:
- Macy's and Martha Stewart Collection sweepstakes: One winner will win an exclusive experience with Stewart herself through the submission of regional dishes. The contest will kick off May 17 when Stewart and Everyday Food editor-in-chief Sarah Carey demonstrate recipes from the book Martha's American Food at Macy's Herald Square in New York City.
- Macy’s Great American Drive-In: In honor of the 80th anniversary of the drive-in theater, classic movies will be projected on the store exterior at 20 Macy’s locations and on-screen at 10 local drive-ins nationwide alongside classic concessions and activities beginning in June.
- Macy’s Great American Road Trip: 2012 Macy’s iHeartRadio Rising Star winners Megan and Liz will take a cross-country road trip in a new Ford Mustang convertible to explore the vast musical history of America. Their trip will begin May 14 and end in July at the Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks in New York City.
- Macy’s Day at the Ballpark: From June 3-16 Macy’s will be sponsor scoreboard features, live announcements and game day giveaways at 10 major league and 35 minor league baseball games.
- Macy’s Sizzle Showdown: A contest to find the country’s grilling guru, fans will submit their recipes through Facebook this month for the chance to compete in a grill-off June 8. The winner will be selected by chefs from Macy’s Culinary Council and will be awarded $10,000, a trip to Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks and the title of America's Greatest Grill Guru.