The truly global nature of the licensing industry is on full display these days. As June’s Licensing International in New York wound down, things were starting to heat up in Asia for the Hong Kong Licensing Show held the first week of July. And now, of course, the countdown has begun in earnest for Brand Licensing Europe to be held Oct. 2 and 3 in London.
Speaking of the Hong Kong show, one of the highlights was the announcement of the Premier Asian Licensing Awards, which showcased the best in licensing from 10 countries, including Hong Kong, the Chinese Mainland, Japan, South Korea, and Indonesia. This year’s winners include:
• Best License (Entertainment): Superman Returns, DC Comics
• Best Licensing Agency: Medialink Animation International Ltd., for the “Thomas & Friends” property
• Best Licensee: Giordano International Ltd., for the Disney Collection
• Best New Property: Cars, The Walt Disney Co. (Asia Pacific) Ltd.
• Best License (Non-Entertainment): Tamagotchi, Bandai Co. Ltd.
• Best Marketing Campaign in Hong Kong: “Keroro Gunso Travels on the MTR,” MTR Corp. Ltd.
For full coverage of the Hong Kong Licensing Show, see the upcoming August issue of License! Global magazine.