Disney hosted its bi-annual fan event, D23, this past weekend in Anaheim, Calif., with a full schedule of events and opportunities to go behind the scenes of Disney’s most iconic properties, find exclusive merchandise, meet the stars and see where the magic is made.
Named in honor of the year that Walt Disney founded what would become Disney Studios (1923), this year’s event served as a launching ground for products and innovations for some of Disney business’ properties.
In support of the TV special, “Phineas and Ferb: Mission Marvel,” Disney Channel unveiled the Dr. Doofenshmirtz’s Waffle-inator, a 40-foot high interactive game that combines digital and physical worlds with rapid-flying waffles. The wacky game makes an appearance in the TV special, which premieres Aug. 16. The stars of “Phineas and Ferb,” Vincent Martella and Alyson Stoner, also made an appearance at the event.
Disney/Pixar debuted limited edition exclusives at the D23 Expo, including a journal, mug, notebook, note cards and an iPhone case, which also mark the first time multiple Disney/Pixar characters have been featured on products. The products feature properties such as A Bug’s Life, Up, Wall-E and Ratatouille. According to DCP, plans are in development to extend the program across retail with more products being planned for Disney Store and at mass.
Fans got the first look at several other new product lines, including:
- The Disney Fairytale Designer doll collection, a limited edition line featuring five iconic Disney Princess characters and their leading men. Beginning Aug. 20, a new couple, such as Belle & Beast or Snow White and The Prince, will be available for purchase every two weeks. The limited edition dolls are a part of a larger Disney Fairytale Designer collection that includes accessories, home products and more. The full line is available online today and in Disney Stores Aug. 19.
- The Art of Ariel collection featuring Vinylmation collectibles, apparel, toys, dolls, fashion accessories and home products;
- The Nightmare Before Christmas 20th anniversary collection;
- The Introducing Mickey & Minnie line; and
- A new range called The Art of Steamboat Willie Redux.
And what’s a fan-driven event without a visit from the stars of the series and films they love?
Numerous Disney stars made an appearance over the course of the weekend including the voice talent behind “Marvel Universe” (Adrian Pasdar, Drake Bell, Fred Tatasciore, Roger Craig Smith, Bumper Robinson and Laura Bailey), the stars of “Crash & Bernstein” (Cole Jensen, Tim Lagasse, Landry Bender and Aaron R. Landon), the star of “Gravity Falls” (Kristen Schaal), Roshon Fegan and Adam Irigoyen from “Shake It Up,” an appearance by the stars of “Dog with a Blog” (G. Hannelius, Blake Michael, Francesca Capaldi and Beth Littleford) and many more.
The stars of Disney Channels’ latest TV movie smash hit, Teen Beach Movie, also made an appearance. Ross Lynch, Grace Phipps, Garrett Clayton, John Deluca, Chrissie Fit, Jordan Fisher and Mollee Gray stopped by to greet fans at the Disney Channel Pavilion inside the event.
DCP also gave away dolls inspired by the upcoming film Frozen to its stars–Kristen Bell and Idina Mendel, who were present. The dolls are made by licensee Mattel.
Other stars present included Tim Gunn and Wayne Brady, who each provide voice talent to “Sofia the First;” and Jack McBrayer and April Winchell, stars of the upcoming animated series “Wander Over Yonder.”